Happy New Year!
How was your holiday season? Did your company close for a period of time, work with a smaller staff, or was it business as usual?
We had such an amazing holiday season, I had a great break, recharged my batteries and now I’m back!
If you’re anything like me, a new year always feels like a fresh start. Kind of like re-spawning in a video game (getting a do-over).
What most people do this time of the year is create a whole bunch of New Year’s Resolutions, but…
Believe it or not, New Year’s resolutions don’t work. Almost 80% of New Year’s Resolutions fail!!
Here’s what you and your employees can do instead of New Year’s Resolutions to start making healthy changes and levelling up so you can all feel like superheroes at work and at home.
Let’s break this down into manageable steps. This can be for you as a leader, as well as for your employees:
- Set an intention: The first thing I did was set an intention of what I want from this year. In 2024, I am focusing on consistency, efficiency, and being purposeful and present. This is going to be in entrepreneurship, my health, and my personal life goals. Knowing this will help frame how I will plan out this year.
- Take a look at last year: This will help you learn from last year (the first time you tried a new skill it certainly wasn’t perfect or if you’re a gamer, that boss battle, you probably didn’t pass the level, but you practiced and learned and kept trying and finished the game). Ask yourself these questions (bonus points if you get a journal and write them down):
- Overall, how was 2023?
- What did I do to try to get my energy back or move toward my intention?
- What worked?
- What didn’t work (in a non-judgmental way)?
- What can I improve on this year?
- Look at this year: Ok, so remember the lessons from last year but let them go… Me being “Nerd Mom”, I’m going to relate this to a video game but feel free to use something from your life, whether it’s learning a new skill, trying a new sport, etc. I’m playing Baldur’s Gate 3, and I’m on my way to infiltrate the Moonrise Towers to stop some bad guys. Now, this isn’t just a “walk up and knock on the front door” kinda deal. I had to assemble a group, meet some people, defeat some lower level bad guys (mostly goblins), and go on from there until I solve the issue. As you can see, these are very specific steps (and I don’t even know them all yet), so I just do 1 at a time. I know what to do and how to get there like a road map. I don’t need to know all of the steps, just what is the next one. In my life, I want to get consistent with going to the gym, improve my health, get more organized and purposeful in my business and be more present with my family. These are all big goals, so again, I just do 1 at a time (same as in a game). Here is how you do it in real life:
- What are my S.M.A.R.T. (Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic, Timely) goals for next year? Pick just 1 to start with, if it’s too big, break it down into smaller steps.
- Why are these goals important to me?
- How can get I get help so I can succeed?
- What am I willing to do to achieve my goals?
- What is the first step I need to take?
- Ask for help: We’re all busy and as super as you are already, the Avengers don’t go it alone and you don’t need to do it all yourself either. If there’s an area where you can use some help, accept the help! So, whether it’s advice, classes, having someone cook for you, getting help around the house, activities for your kids…. Ask for help in areas that would really level up your life.
When you answer these questions, you will be so much clearer on where to go and will be so much more likely to succeed!
When you answer them, shoot me back an email to help keep you accountable (even better, share them with people who will help support you).
Here’s to an awesome 2024! I believe in you.
BTW… If you’re looking to help your leaders and employees level up their energy and wellness so they feel like superheroes at work and home, I help through Wellness Program review and design, cooking demos, health and wellness coaching, live talks, workshops and more. Schedule a call to see how this can work for your company.
– Kelly (Head Nerd Mom)